Allstate is probably best known for its car insurance policies, but it offers a variety of financial services to the giant firm. It is a good option for customers who want an open one-stop company with its wide variety of services and many local agents.
Allstate gives solid protection and safe driving bonuses which are difficult to find elsewhere, but high fees and frequent rate increases keep driving customers away.
What car insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
- Property damage insurance
- Personal injury insurance
- Liability insurance
- Comprehensive insurance
- Collision insurance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists
- Roadside assistance insurance
- Medical payments
- Rideshare insurance
Allstate provides the standard auto coverage options, plus some different features you can add (depending on your state) for an extra fee, including:
Accident reimbursement, meaning your premiums won’t increase due to one road incident, even if it was your fault!
Secure driving bonus: With Allstate you can get a bonus for every six months of accident-free driving.
- Deductible rewards: for every year without driving violations, you receive $100 off your deductible collision, up to $500 off. Allstate will take the first $100 off when you sign up.
- New car replacement: If you total a new car in the first two model years, you can check for a new car, not just the depreciated value of your car.
- Roadside assistance in three different options: pay-per-use, as an auto insurance add-on, or from Allstate’s Motor Club, which is a AAA-like subscription program.
- Rideshare insurance: Allstate’s policy on Ride for Hire is an add-on for drivers working for ride-hailing companies like Uber and Lyft. Not all states have this scheme. The full coverage of Rideshare companies kicks in only as you’re transporting passengers, with minimal coverage between the rides.Allstate Ridesharing Insurance is a part of your regular policy and will cover you all the time your app is on.
Also, Allstate has some apps that are not costly, such as:
- car purchasing service.Allstate advertises discounts and rewards by using this service which provides details about what others have paid for the same car model, including promotions and fees.
- Claim satisfaction guarantee: Allstate issues your auto insurance policy up to a six-month refund if you are dissatisfied with the manner in which a payment was treated. The guarantee comes free with all standard policies in states where it’s available.
- Milewise. Milewise insurance has a regular base rate and a per-mile-charge depending on the miles that you travel. If you don’t always find yourself behind the wheel or have a long commute, consider this form of coverage. Not all states provide this program.
- Drivewise: Allstate rewards you with a discount of up to 10 percent just for using the Drivewise app, which analyzes your speed and braking behaviour, and the time of day you drive. Every six months you drive safely afterwards and receive loyalty points for shopping discounts, you can receive up to an extra 25 per cent back. Even non-customers can sign up for the program of rewards points but it is not available in all states.
Allstate Auto Insurance Rates
Allstate’s car insurance premiums are very high compared with rivals. Allstate had the lowest premium of the four insurance companies we measured by a landslide. Allstate sample quote came at $386 a year, which breaks down to more than $30 a month and more than $1 a day.
Progressive was the cheapest self insurance agent we find. Our sample quote was approximately $230 a year, or $19 a month and just $0.65 a day. Geico and Progressive offered premiums which were slightly more costly but priced equally. By contrast, the average auto insurance premium for Allstate was more than $100 more than the State Farm, which had the third lowest premium.
It is important to look at the average annual costs when evaluating the insurance rates. The daily cost may sound trivial, at a few cents or dollars a day. But those dollars add up rapidly over the course of a year. But seeing the breakdown of annual, weekly, and daily costs for budgeting purposes can be helpful.
|Insurance||Average Annual Cost||Average 6-Month Cost||Average Monthly Cost||Average Daily Cost|
Currently, auto insurance rates are growing at their fastest pace in years and Allstate tends to lead the charge. It increased Illinois insurance rates three times in 18 months with expectations for more potential increases, and a recent rate hike in Georgia could potentially double what people are currently paying.
Additionally, it is important to note that when calculating premiums, auto insurers weigh a variety of factors including your age, driving record, vehicle, address and credit history. Growing company has a special algorithm that weights slightly differently these variables, which is why you end up with slightly different levels from one company to the next.So the only way to know how much you’ll cost auto insurance is to get quotes and compare them.
But don’t make your decision based solely on price. It may seem tempting but when you go to file a claim, you may regret it. Make sure that the company you choose is well established and has strong ratings on customer satisfaction. This will reduce the headache of filing a claim significantly, and will help you get back on the road faster.
What discounts can I get with Allstate?
Save more by benefiting from a number of Allstate discounts:
- New car discount . Save if your vehicle is new and you are the owner first.
- Multipolicy discount. For more savings bundle your car insurance with a homeowner policy.
- Discount to smart students. You could qualify for a discount if your young driver meets the grade requirements.
- Discount for Anti-lock brake. If your car is equipped with antilock brakes, save up to 10 percent.
- Antitheft dicount. Save up to 10 per cent if your car has an anti-heft device.
- Discount on Autopay. When you set up automatic withdrawal to pay your premium, save up to 5 per cent.
- Paperless discount. If you sign up for online statements, documents and policy information, save up to 10 per cent.
- Payed off in full discount. When you pay your policy in full, save up to 10 percent.
- Discount on early signing. When you sign your policy seven days before it becomes effective, save up to 10 per cent.
- Responsible discount payer. Save up to 5 per cent if in the past year you have not received a notice of cancelation for non-payment.
- Safe Driving Club. You may be able to save if your driving history meets the Safe Driving Club requirements.
- New car discount. If your car is the model of this or last year and you are its first owner, save up to 15 percent.
- Discount for loyalty. Save up to 7 percent for several years of sticking with Allstate.
Allstate complaints and customer satisfaction
According to three years of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Allstate had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto and home insurance. It had near the number of complaints expected in relation to its life insurance size.
Allstate’s client satisfaction ratings are average across the board.
Allstate has received excellent AM Best, Moody’s and S&P long-term stability ratings. These agencies assess the financial strength of the insurers to determine the likelihood that when the time comes they will be able to pay out claims. Allstate is well-established in the industry and will likely be a major player for years to come, so you don’t have to worry about your safety net disappearing down the road.
More about Allstate
The main mobile app from Allstate allows you to pay your bill, manage your policies, check the status of a claim, get help from the roadside and even use Augmented Reality to map safety paths in case of a fire or other emergency. It includes the Drivewise feature which tracks conduct behaviour.
The Allstate Digital Locker app is free and helps you create an inventory of the items from your home that can help if you ever need to make a claim.
Website: There are several tools and resources on Allstate’s website, including some for retirement planning or to help you move. Also, you can find a local agent, get a quote, find a mechanic or read about product offers.
Summary: Allstate pros and cons
- Comprehensive quote tools. Allstate provides a wide range of tools to help potential clients design a customized plan.
- Less complaints regarding home and auto insurance to state regulators than expected.
- Generous benefits including accident forgiveness, new car replacement and every six months a safe-driving bonus.
- Offers insurance services in many states.
- Dedicated agents. Allstate drivers are assigned an Allstate agent who can help you find ways to save, expand your coverage, file a claim for insurance, and more.
- Compared with other companies, customer satisfaction ratings are average.
- Coverage costs tend to be higher than average. Allstate does offer a comprehensive list of discounts but in some areas you can expect to pay a little more than you would with other comparable providers.
- Lack of multiple standard discounts. If you’re used to receiving a discount for being a homeowner, being in the military or insuring multiple cars, these benefits may be missed when you switch to Allstate.
All thing considered, Allstate offers solid coverage and some pleasant bonuses to good drivers, but the quotes are typically higher than its competitors and likely to get worse in the coming years.